SALKANTAY TREK 5D/4N, WAKING UP WITH MACHU PICCHU COMPLETE SERVICE
We offer the complete service for the Salkantay trek, resting each night in our family run lodges. You can enjoy many services, which include private rooms with private bathrooms. Our lodges are specifically designed with our clients in mind and so that their stay is of the best standard possible.
The first night, you will stay in Salkantay Lodges with some privileged views of the majestic Salkantay glacier. The second night, you will stay in a local house, full of culture and tradition, not to mention, hospitality. The third night, you will spend in Llactapata lodges which are situated just in front of Machu Picchu. In the evening you can appreciate the sun set over Machu Picchu and the following morning, the spectacular sunrise. All along the hike, you will be accompanied by our expert guide.
Included in this package are all the services in Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu and your return to the city of Cusco. (not included: breakfast on the first day or dinner on the final evening).
+ DAY 1: CUSCO – SALKANTAY LODGES - HUMANTAY LAKE.
Your guide will pick you up from your hotel from 5:00 to 5:20 a.m. in a private vehicle, which will take you to the community of Mollepata, this is a journey of approximately 2 and a half hours. In Mollepata, you have an optional breakfast at our home, and pick up some water and snacks for the day. We also have a store to buy any last minute items that you may need for the trek.
After breakfast, we go in our private vehicle to Challacancha, which is approximately a 1 hour journey. From here, we will start to hike to our first lodge in Soraypampa, which is approximately a 2 hour walk. Here, you will be greeted with a coca tea and you will be shown to your rooms, when you will have time to get settled into the first night’s accommodation. Our lodges are fully equipped with private bathrooms, a hot shower, and we have a choice of rooms with double beds, twin rooms or rooms with 3 beds for bigger groups.
Once you are settled-in, you will be able to try some delicious and nutritious local cuisine. Vegetarians or anyone with food allergies are also welcome, we cater for all dietary needs. After a hearty lunch, you will have a short, acclimatisation trek to the spectacular Tukarhuay Lagoon with a stunning backdrop of the Tukarhuay glacier, or more commonly known as the Humantay glacier. You will also have spectacular views of the Salkantay glacier, one of the most sacred mountains in Inca mythology (Apu Salkantay) at a massive (6,200 metres / 20.341 feet). This excursion will take approximately 3 hours in total and will help you to acclimatise for the rest of the trek. When you get back to the lodge there will be an appetizer waiting for you and then a delicious dinner.
Total walking distance: 12km / 7.45 miles. Starting elevation: 3,380 metres / 12,729 feet. Highest elevation: 4,300 metres /14,107 feet. Altitude of the lodge: 3,850 metres /12,477 feet. Approximate night-time (outside) temperature at the lodge: 0 - 5°C.
- Accommodation: private rooms at the lodge (Soray - Lucmabamba - Llactapata)
- Meals : Lunch, dinner and afternoon tea and snacks)
- Walking time : 4-5 hours
- WIFI Signal
- Fresh towels face towels, and soap provided.
- Transfer of your personal items for the duration of the trek.
- Dificulty level: Moderate
- Adventure level: satisfactory.
- Lodgue Soray has renewable energy to charge your cell phones.
+ DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA - SALKANTAY LAGOON – LUCMABAMBA FAMILY HOME.
Today is the big day! We will wake up and have a coca tea at 5am. At 5:30am our host Marino, will serve a delicious breakfast. The ascent to the Salkantay pass at (4,660 metres - 1,5288,71 feet), is 7km (4.34 miles) in approximately 3 hours. When we reach the pass we will have a coca tea and take some time to appreciate the spectacular views of the mountains and glaciers of Salkantay, Humantay, Tucarhuay and Pumasillo. Your guide will spend some time explaining the mountains before you continue on for another 30 minutes along the mountain range to enjoy to Salkantay Lagoon. This is a blue lagoon located right in the bottom of the Salakntay mountain. Make sure your camera is ready – the photos of the lagoon with the reflection of the glacier peaks is outstanding. . Finally, there will be a 3 hour downhill hike to get to our Huayrac Machay Refuge located at 3800m right in the cloud forest, prepare for a delicious lunch.
In the afternoon, you will enter the high part of the Amazon jungle, which is also known as a cloud forest. It is approximately a 10 km (6.2 miles) downhill walk, taking approximately 3 hours. The path is a wide track through thick woodland areas. This part of the trek is really beautiful and has stunningly decorated hillsides, with natural scenic views and a great amount of wildlife, native plants and flowers. The woodlands throughout most of the year are relatively warm, sometimes with quite hot temperatures. After finishing this stage of the hike, we will arrive at our lodge in CHALWAY (2,900 metres - 9,514 feet). On arrival, there will be a private vehicle to take us on the 1 hour journey to Lucmabamba. This is where we experience the tropical jungle area. You will arrive at the Lucmabamba lodge where the local family will welcome you and allow you to settle in to your rooms.
Distance walked: 22km /13.67 miles. Starting elevation: 3850 metres /12631 feet. Highest altitude reached: 4660 metres / 15,288 feet. Altitude of the lodge in Lucmabamba: 2400 metres / 7874 feet.Distance walked: 22km /13.67 miles. Starting elevation: 3850 metres /12631 feet. Highest altitude reached: 4660 metres / 15,288 feet. Altitude of the lodge in Lucmabamba: 2400 metres / 7874 feet.
- Meals : Breakfast, lunch, dinner and an afternoon snack
- Available rooms at the lodge: private rooms with private bathrooms.
- Fresh towels.
- Walking time: 8 -9 hours.
- Private transfer: (Chalway – Lucmabamba).
- Transfer of personal items all the trek
- Difficulty level: Challenging – difficult.
- Adventure: Satisfactory
- Refugio Lucmablamba has renewable energy to charge your cell phones.
+ DAY 3: LUCMABAMBA FAMILY HOME - LLACTAPATA INCA TRAIL- LLACTAPATA (Lodgue in front of Machu Picchu)
The local family will wake you early in the morning with a hot cup of coffee, or coca tea at 7am. You will be able to prepare yourself for the day’s activities and then you will head out. You will pass through the banana, granadilla (passion fruit family), avocado and yucca plantations as well as the coffee plantations where the traditional methods are still used by local farmers to toast and grind the coffee beans. The organic coffee from this region is considered, one of the best in the world. You will be able to prepare yourself for the hike and enjoy a hearty breakfast from all of the products you have collected from the area, an unforgettable experience!
After this beautiful experience we will have the opportunity to go to the best thermal waters of the whole region that has Cusco (hot springs of Cocalmayo), we can enjoy a couple of hours and then a delicious lunch awaits us.
You will start to hike quite early in the day and you will have the opportunity to enjoy hiking on part of an original Inca trail. After a 3 hour ascent with incredible views of the Santa Teresa valley, you will arrive at the Inca site of LLACTAPATA, situated just in front of Machu Picchu. Not only can you catch your first glimpse of the Machu Picchu archaeological site, but also the amazing view of Huayna Picchu and the Machu Picchu Mountain. We will then spend the night at the LLactapata Lodge.
Distance walked: 8.km / 4.97 miles. Starting elevation: 2450 metres / 8038 feet. Altitude at The Llactapata Lodge: 2600 metres /8530 feet
- Walking time: 5-6 hours
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Transfer of your personal items with porters: The entire route
- Accommodation in the Llactapata lodge: Private rooms with private bathroom
- Fresh towels, soap and shampoo provided
- Difficulty level: Easy
- Adventure level: Absolutely!
+ DAY 4: LLACTAPATA LODGE – HYDROELECTRIC – AGUAS CALIENTES.
You will have the opportunity to see the sunrise over Machu Picchu from your room and you will be able to have breakfast in the panoramic dining room. The day´s hike will begin with a 2 hour, downhill path, with views of Machu Picchu”, until you arrive at a small family home, where the family will be waiting for you with fresh water (bottled) to rehydrate and show you this impressive site. You will then continue to the hydroelectric train station, From the Hydroelectric Station, you will then continue to the famous Intiwatana.
According to history, this Inca stone used to work with the famous sun dial rock in Machu Picchu, during the winter solstice, which was the beginning of a new farming season for the Incas. From the Intiwatana, you will continue to the train tracks, which have a nice path to walk on. The hike along the train tracks will be approximately 3 hours and will lead to the town of Aguas Calientes, located at the foot of the valley of Machu Picchu.
This section of the hike will be interesting as it was the trail used by the American professor, Hiram Bingham, when rediscovering Machu Picchu. On his way to Machu Picchu, Hiram Bingham met with local farmer Melochor Artaega, who eventually guided him to Machu Picchu. On your hike, you will hike pass Melochor Artaega´s farm, where you will see many species of flora and fauna, including the famous Peruvian national bird called Cock of the Rock, tucanets, propendolas, parrots and orchids. Finally, upon your arrival in Aguas Calientes, you will enjoy your lunch.where you’ll have plenty of time to settle into your hotel and explore the small charming town.
+ DAY 5: MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO
The day we have all been waiting for! The entrance to Machu Picchu is open from 6am until 5pm. Visiting for Machu Picchu is split into 2 groups, you have to choose either the morning group or the afternoon group. We will visit in the morning, granting us entry from 6 am to 12 pm. Your guide will wake you up at your hotel around 4 am to get breakfast (can be enjoyed at your hotel or online waiting for the bus). You will head out to the bus station and line up, waiting for the first bus which will depart at 5:30AM and then every 5 minutes after that. The bus ride is 25 minutes to the entrance where you will again line up for entry. Please remember your passport which is needed to get inside. (Before entering, take a quick visit to the restroom – the rangers do not allow you to re-enter Machu Picchu if you need to leave for a bathroom break). Once you are inside, your guide will head to the watch tower area which is a beautiful area to take photos. Your guide will introduce the history of Machu Picchu to you and explore this amazing citadel for 2 hours
There is also the option to climb the Huayna Picchu mountain or the Machu Picchu mountain (be aware that you need to reserve permits with anticipation to climb these mountains, and it costs $25 usd more). Both mountains take around 3 hours to climb up and down. You can also hike to the “Inti Punco” or Sungate which is where the Inca trail trekkers see their first view of Machu Picchu. After visiting Machu Picchu we go down to Aguas Calientes and catch our train to Ollantaytambo. From there a shuttle will take us to Cusco, the entire trip is about 4 hours.
INCLUDED & NOT INCLUDED
+ Included in the package:
- Entrance fee to Salkantay Trail
- Pre- trek briefing: You will meet with the guide for your trek and the rest of the group in our office for an orientation meeting. You will also be given duffle bags, 1 Duffle bag: to carry your personal items ( up to 7 kilos / 15 pounds) which will be carried by horses on the trek. We will meet at 7:00 pm the night before the trek.
- Transport from your hotel in Cusco to challacancha on day 1 and from Ollantaytambo to your hotel in Cusco at the end of the trek on day 5.
- A bi lingual guide (Spanish and English), From day 1 to day 5.
- Private rooms: We have double rooms, twin rooms, triple rooms and quadruple rooms
- The last night of this trek is spent in a hotel in Aguas Calientes with a double or triple room, private bathroom, hot shower, wifi, breakfast, and luggage storage while you visit Machu Picchu.
- Wake up with tea!: Each morning at the lodge we will awake you with a hot cup of coca tea which our staff will bring to your room. .
- Transport of your personal items, by pack horse / mules or porters for all of the trek.
- Guided tour of the Machu Picchu Sanctuary including entrance fee.
- Afternoon Tea Happy Hour: Each afternoon, 1 hour before our dinner, your hosts and families will serve popcorn, cookies, coffee, hot chocolate and some different types of tea, hot water etc. This is because after a hard days hiking, you will arrive quite hungry and tired.
- Daily snacks - Days 1, 2 y 3. Our snacks consist of local fruits, cookies, chocolate, sweets, etc. We will give you these snacks in the at the start of each trekking day and should last most of the day (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost)
- All meals except breakfast on day 1 and dinner on day 4.
- Hygenic Products: All of our lodges have fresh towels for hands and face and body.
- Hot water in all of our lodges
- First Aid kit: Our crew always carry an extensive first Aid kit including an oxygen tank in case of any emergencies.
- Hygenic Products: All of our lodges have fresh towels for hands and face and body.
- Train tickets : From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (tren expeditions)
- We also provide a natural walking stick for the hike at no extra cost- one stick per person.
- Satellite Phones: Every guide will have a fully charged phone that can be used anywhere on the mountain to connect us anywhere in the world. our guides are trained for most of the issues clients have on the mountain, being a phone call away from any doctor, hospital or friend helps everyone feel assured that they are safe.
+ NOT INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE:
- Day 1: Breakfast
- Last Day: Dinner in Aguas Calientes.
- Personal clothing and gear
- Travel Insurance
- Alcoholic drinks and energy drinks are NOT included. Clothing or personal items or travel insurance is Not included.
- Return shuttle bus Bus from Aguas calientes - Machupicchu - return
+ AVAILABLE DISCOUNTS: (THESE ARE NOT ACCUMULATIVE)
Students: $ 30.00 (Students need to bring a valid ISIC student card. (Please take into account that Youth student travel cards are not valid!)
Adolescents: $ 20.00 (up to 15years old, a Passport copy is required).
Children: $ 45.00 (up to 10 years old, Passport copy is required for all stages of the reservation).
YOU ARE BOOKING NOW SALKANTAY TREK 5D/4N, WAKING UP WITH MACHU PICCHU
$ 670 per person
* A group tour means that it is open for other trekkers to join you. This means that your group will have varying hiking and fitness abilities. All our guides are experts on how to keep the trek moving and happy no matter how fast you hike.