SALKANTAY LUXURY 6D/5N
Salkantay "All Included", Is a highly personalized service, concentrating on adventure, comfort and great customer service. You will not have to worry about a thing, from the start of the trek until the last day when you arrive back to Cusco.
You will be able to experience everything from the flight of the condor , which were the sacred birds of the Inca’s, you will have lunch at the only “Hacienda” in Peru that dates back to 1579 and belongs to the “golden age” and still has original exhibits and antiques of that period. You will sleep in a spectacular private “loft” room, exclusively for yourselves, made from wood and with large Windows and a glass roof to appreciate the magnificent views, which will leave you speechless. This is the perfect opportunity to disconnect from the outside world. In the evenings, you will be able to marvel at the amazing starry sky and views of the Milky Way, with NO light pollution and which light up the stunning Mountain tops of The Salkantay glacier and Humantay mountain. You will also be able to explore the local mountain communities and meet local families who to this day, maintain their traditional way of Andean life.
You will sleep in a lodge in Llactapata, which is situated in front of Machu Picchu and you will be able to see the spectacular sunset and sunrise over Machu Picchu. Once more you will enjoy the stunning night sky and the countless stars and constellations.We really do offer a phenomenal experience like no other, along this route.
All along the trail you will be accompanied by our experienced, expert guide, emergency horse, comprehensive first aid kit with oxygen tank and on the route to llactapata, along an original Inca trail, you will be accompanied by porters as this trail is not suitable for the mules. Once we arrive to Aguas Calientes, you will be able to relax in a carefully chosen 3 star hotel.
+ DÍA 1: CUSCO – CHONTA (CONDORS) – HACIENDA SONDORS
The most outstanding: You will enjoy the majestic flight of Andean Condors in their natural hábitat. For the Incas, the condor or Apu Kuntur was a "Messenger of the Gods.
You will sleep and have lunch in the only House "Hacienda" in Peru that dates from 1579. You will feel an atmosphere of about 200 years ago inside the thick walls of the house and will live the life story told by the direct descendants. Also, this is precisely what makes this house unique in Peru.
Your Guide will pick you up at 8:00 am and then continue our trip through the Archaeological Park of Kuillarumiyoc or Tarahuasi which literally means "moonstone" in Spanish. This Park was built for the purpose of worshiping one of the most important deities "Mama Quilla" or Madre Luna (in Spanish), and another in Tarawasi, where there is a platform with carved stone walls, a stone altar known as " Usnu "and several agricultural platforms.
After that, we will have lunch in the only house Hacienda in Peru that dates from 1579 and belongs to the age of Gold, where it keeps original exhibitions and antiquities of that period. After the lunch, we will continue our trip towards town of. From this point we will begin the walk of approximately an hour and a half, by a broad and semi-plane trail to the viewpoint of the Andean Condor canyon located at 3.350 meters above the sea level.
Once there, we will settle down and while we observe the impressive natural beauty of the Apurimac river canyon. We will wait for the arrival of the Amdean Condors after their daily activities. The wait will be rewarded with the impressive views that we will have of the Andean Condors in full flight. We will be around 2 hours taking pictures and appreciating the Andean Condors along with nature. After it, we will start our return trip. Upon arrival, Hacienda Sondors will welcome us with a magnificent dinner consisting of fresh and locally sourced food.
Driving time: 3.5 hours, Walking time: 4 hours, Elevation Hacienda Sondors: 2,554m / 8,379ft, Level of difficulty: Easy.
+ DAY2: HACIENDA SONDORS - "HONEYMOON" MOUNTAIN LODGE – HUMANTAY LAKE.
After breakfast, we go in our private vehicle to Challacancha, which is approximately a 1 hour journey. From here, we will start to hike to our first lodge in Soraypampa, which is approximately a 2 hour walk. Here, you will be greeted with a coca tea and you will be shown to your rooms, when you will have time to get settled into the first night’s accommodation. Our lodges are fully equipped with private bathrooms, a hot shower.
Once you are settled-in, you will be able to try some delicious and nutritious local cuisine. Vegetarians or anyone with food allergies are also welcome, we cater for all dietary needs. After a hearty lunch, you will have a short, acclimatisation trek to the spectacular Tukarhuay Lagoon with a stunning backdrop of the Tukarhuay glacier, or more commonly known as the Humantay glacier. You will also have spectacular views of the Salkantay glacier, one of the most sacred mountains in Inca mythology (Apu Salkantay) at a massive (6,200 metres / 20.341 feet). This excursion will take approximately 3 hours in total and will help you to acclimatise for the rest of the trek. When you get back to the lodge there will be an appetizer waiting for you and then a delicious dinner.
Total walking distance: 12km / 7.45 miles. Starting elevation: 3,380 metres / 12,729 feet. Highest elevation: 4,300 metres /14,107 feet. Altitude of the lodge: 3,850 metres /12,477 feet. Approximate night-time (outside) temperature at the lodge: 0 - 5°C, Driving distance: 40 km / 24.8 mi, Driving time: 1,5 hours, Walking time: 5 hours, Level of difficulty: * Moderate.
+ DAY 3: "HONEYMOON" MOUNTAIN LODGE - SALKANTAY PASS – SALKANTAY LAGOON – WAYRACMACHAY REFUGE.
For the most difficult section (soraypampa- summit salkantay) 2 emergency horses are included. Today is the big day! We will wake up and have a coca tea at 5am. At 5:30am our host Marino, will serve a delicious breakfast. The ascent to the Salkantay pass at (4,660 metres - 1,5288,71 feet), is 7km (4.34 miles) in approximately 3 hours. When we reach the pass we will have a coca tea and take some time to appreciate the spectacular views of the mountains and glaciers of Salkantay, Humantay, Tucarhuay and Pumasillo. Your guide will spend some time explaining the mountains before you continue on for another 30 minutes along the mountain range to enjoy to Salkantay Lagoon. This is a blue lagoon located right in the bottom of the Salakntay mountain. Make sure your camera is ready – the photos of the lagoon with the reflection of the glacier peaks is outstanding. Finally, there will be a 3 hour downhill hike to reach our Refuge Huayrac Machay located at 3800m right in the cloud forest, get ready for happy hour and dinner that night.
Walking distance: 16km. / 9.94194 miles, Campsite elevation: 3600m / 11811.02 ft Weather : cold
+ DAY 4: WAYRAC MACHAY – UNUYOC – LUCMABAMBA FAMILY HOME.
Again our hiking staff will greet you in the morning with a hot drink served at your tent and some time to pack up your belongings to hand off to your porters. Another delicious breakfast will be prepared and then you will begin another day of hiking this amazing trail. Today will be mostly in the cloud forest (make sure you use your mosquito repellent) with warmer temperatures and humidity. We will hike a gradual uphill for about 1 hour to reach the famous lookout point, Unuyoc, with views of the lush green valley of the Andes. The flowers are abundant with orchards, ferns and trees everywhere. From this pass we will head on a steep downhill for 2 hours passing local farms growing our famous potatoes and other Andean crops. You may see some Andean birds, small local faunas, and perhaps even some black bears. Little by little you will reach to the bottom of the mountains where you will enjoy lunch and small siesta. After lunch there will be 2 more hours, gradual this time, downhill to our family home.
Where the local family will welcome you and allow you to settle in to your rooms. They have private bathrooms and hot or cold showers. Walking distance: 15km / 9.32057 miles Night elevation: 2400m. / 7874.016 ft Weather: warm
+ DAY 5: LUCMABAMBA FAMILY HOME – HOT SPRINGS - LLACTAPATA (LODGUE IN FRONT OF MACHU PICCHU)
The local family will wake you early in the morning with a hot cup of coffee, or coca tea at 7am. You will be able to prepare yourself for the day’s activities and then you will head out. You will pass through the banana, granadilla (passion fruit family), avocado and yucca plantations as well as the coffee plantations where the traditional methods are still used by local farmers to toast and grind the coffee beans. The organic coffee from this region is considered, one of the best in the world. You will be able to prepare yourself for the hike and enjoy a hearty breakfast from all of the products you have collected from the area, an unforgettable experience!
Then we will continue a swim in the Hot Springs of Cocalmayo is a great experience. It is situated between a huge river and a small mountain. In Cocalmayo bathers can enjoy outdoor pools fed by natural hot springs, built between a small mountain full of vegetation and the Urubamba River. You will find 3 pools of different sizes and depths. The water temperature varies between 38 and 44 ºC and unlike most hot springs in Peru, it has clear water. Very close to the pools there are cold showers, the water comes from the lagoons of Uripata and is very refreshing; The water mixture will give you a very comforting feeling. You will start to hike in the day and you will have the opportunity to enjoy hiking on part of an original Inca trail. After a 3 hour ascent with incredible views of the Santa Teresa valley, you will arrive at the Inca site of LLACTAPATA, situated just in front of Machu Picchu. Not only can you catch your first glimpse of the Machu Picchu archaeological site, but also the amazing view of Huayna Picchu and the Machu Picchu Mountain. We will then spend the night at the LLactapata Lodge.
Distance walked: 8.km / 4.97 miles. Starting elevation: 2450 metres / 8038 feet. Altitude at The Llactapata Lodge: 2600 metres /8530 feet, Weather: 4 hours, During day time hot and chilly at night.
+ DAY 6: LLACTAPATA LODGE – AGUAS CALIENTES.
You will have the opportunity to see the sunrise over Machu Picchu from your room and you will be able to have breakfast in the panoramic dining room. The day´s hike will begin with a 2 hour, downhill path, with views of Machu Picchu”, until you arrive at a small family home, where the family will be waiting for you with fresh water (bottled) to rehydrate and show you this impressive site. You will then continue to the hydroelectric train station,
From the Hydroelectric Station, you will then continue to the famous Intiwatana. According to history, this Inca stone used to work with the famous sun dial rock in Machu Picchu, during the winter solstice, which was the beginning of a new farming season for the Incas. From the Intiwatana, you will continue to the train tracks, which have a nice path to walk on. The hike along the train tracks will be approximately 3 hours and will lead to the town of Aguas Calientes, located at the foot of the valley of Machu Picchu. This section of the hike will be interesting as it was the trail used by the American professor, Hiram Bingham, when rediscovering Machu Picchu. On his way to Machu Picchu, Hiram Bingham met with local farmer Melochor Artaega, who eventually guided him to Machu Picchu. On your hike, you will hike pass Melochor Artaega´s farm, where you will see many species of flora and fauna, including the famous Peruvian national bird called Cock of the Rock, tucanets, propendolas, parrots and orchids. Finally, upon your arrival in Aguas Calientes, you will enjoy your lunch.where you’ll have plenty of time to settle into your hotel and explore the small charming town.
Walking distance: 14km / 8.6992 miles Night Elevation: 2000m. / 6561.68 ft Weather : Hot during day time and windy at night.
+ DAY 7: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO.
After breakfast, our local guide will accompany us to the Machu Picchu archaeological site by bus. After checking in at the park entrance, we will be escorted by our guide through these unique Inca ruins where we will uncover the mysteries of the sacred city of Machu Picchu during an in-depth walking tour. Other options during this visit include climbing Machu Picchu Mountain or Huayna Picchu Mountain. These climbs are physically challenging, but the magnificent views from the peak of both mountains make the effort worthwhile. Please tell us if you want to climb one of the mountains; we need to book this for you in advance.
We will then have lunch at Sanctuary Lodge. After, we will take the bus down to reconnect with your luggage, take the train to Ollantaytambo, and then transfer to a vehicle for the drive back to Cusco.
INCLUDED & NOT INCLUDED
COST: $ 1700 PER PERSON (MINIMUM 2 PEOPLE).
If you are a lone traveller, please ask to see if we have other passengers departing on the same date.
+ INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE:
- Entrance fee to Salkantay Trail
- Pre- trek briefing: You will meet with the guide for your trek and the rest of the group in our office for an orientation meeting. You will also be given duffle bags, which will be carried by horses on the trek. We will meet at 7:00 pm the night before the trek.
- Transport from your hotel in Cusco to SORAYPAMPA on day 1 and from Ollantaytambo to your hotel in Cusco at the end of the trek on day 6.
- A bi lingual guide (Spanish and English), From day 1 to day 6.
- “Glamping style” and 1 nightin a 3 star hotel in Aguas Calientes).
- Private rooms: We have double rooms, twin rooms, triple rooms and quadruple rooms depending on your group size.
- Return shuttle bus Bus from Aguas calientes - Machupicchu - return
- Fresh towels and soap.
- Transport of your personal items, by pack horse / mules or porters for all of the trek.
- Guided tour of the Machu Picchu Sanctuary including entrance fee.
- 1 Duffle bag: to carry your personal items ( up to 14 kilos / 30 pounds)
- All meals except dinner on day 5.
- Wake up with tea!: Each morning at the lodge we will awake you with a hot cup of coca tea which our staff will bring to your room. .
- Afternoon Tea Happy Hour: Each afternoon, 1 hour before our dinner, your hosts and families will serve popcorn, cookies, coffee, hot chocolate and some different types of tea, hot water etc. This is because after a hard days hiking, you will arrive quite hungry and tired.
- Daily snacks - Days 1, 2 y 3. Our snacks consist of local fruits, cookies, chocolate, sweets, etc. We will provide them in a fabric bag (more environmentally friendly) We will give you these snacks in the at the start of each trekking day and should last most of the day.
- A fabric, re-usable bag for your snacks (environmentally friendly).
- Hygenic Products: All of our lodges have fresh towels for hands and face and body.
- Hot water in all of our lodges
- First Aid kit: Our crew always carry an extensive first Aid kit including an oxygen tank in case of any emergencies.
- Train tickets : From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (Vistadome service)
- Rain ponchos
- We will create an unforgettable experience
- Alcoholic drinks and energy drinks are NOT included. Clothing or personal items or travel insurance is Not included.
- We provide an emergency mule for any situation that should arise.
- Satellite Phones: Every guide will have a fully charged phone that can be used anywhere on the mountain to connect us anywhere in the world. our guides are trained for most of the issues clients have on the mountain, being a phone call away from any doctor, hospital or friend helps everyone feel assured that they are safe.
+ Not Included:
Extra expenses or delays caused by circumstances outside of our control - (weather conditions, landslides etc.).Any changes to the itinerary due to security problems, illness, political climate, strikes, Sleeping bags are not necessary for this trek
+ What to bring:
- set of clean clothes for each day. Please bring clothes for ALL types of weather conditions …..cold and hot, wet and dry.
- Rain gear (Jacket and trousers) or a rain poncho. You can buy rain ponchos in Cusco for around $1 dollar.
- Good comfortable, waterproofed, walking boots, Extra socks are a requirement!
- Sandals /flipflops to allow your feet to breath in the evenings.
- Warm clothes, including down jacket or warm fleece, gloves, scarf, thermal under clothes are recommended.
- Torch /flashlight.
- Camera, film, batteries, chargers, etc. (be aware that in cold conditions batteries go flat very rapidly).
- HATS for sun, cold, and rain.
- Sun block.
- After-sun and hydration creams.
- Insect repellent - 20% DEET minimum – (there has never been a reported case of malaria but the insects do bit and can be itchy.
- Snacks: Cookies, chocolate bars, energy bars, dried fruits, trail mix etc.
- We advise you to bring water sterilisation tablets in case you want to collect stream water en route.
- Your own first aid kit with prescription medication, paracetamol, band aids / blister protection etc.
- Bathing suit: If you are planning a visit to the thermal springs.
- CASH! For snacks, souvenirs, tips etc. Please bring small denominations- no large notes! There are ATM’s in Aguas Calientes.
+ Available Discounts: (These are not accumulative) **
Students: $ 30.00 (Students need to bring a valid ISIC student card. (Please take into account that Youth student travel cards are not valid!)
Adolescents: $ 20.00 (up to 15years old, a Passport copy is required).
Children: $ 45.00 (up to 10 years old, Passport copy is required for all stages of the reservation).
YOU ARE BOOKING NOW SALKANTAY ALL INCLUDED 6 DAYS AND 5 NiGHTS
Trekkers $ 1700
REFUGIOS SALKANTAY - Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu