Salkantay All Included 6 Days and 5 Nights
The Salkantay Trek. Salkantay trek in private cabins experience salkantay trek. Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu, Salkantay Awesome. Refugios Salkantay is a team of families living along the Salkantay route. There is no travel agency or middleman operating the company. We are people from the area who will interact with you directly in order to bring you the highest quality service. We will show you how our culture, traditions, and ancestral history work in harmony with the flora and fauna of the area. Salkantay trek.
SALKANTAY TREK TODO INCLUIDO MIRADOR SOBRE MACHUPICCHU
Salkantay – All included, is a highly personalised service with the focus being on Adventure, comfort and quality of Service. You will not need to worry about anything from the start until the end of the tour.
Our menu is designed to include traditional Peruvian dishes, light and full of natural ingredients, which will provide adequate energy and satisfaction after a long day of hiking. We serve amazing lunches and dinners, using fresh fruits and vegetables, locally grown chicken, and homemade marmalades and sauces. We also focus on hot breakfasts, lunches and dinners throughout the duration of the trek.
+ DAY 1: CUSCO – SORAYPAMPA (CONDOR PASS)
THIS PART OF THE TREK IS EXTRA SPECIAL AND IS WORTH WALKING 6 DAYS FOR ON ITS OWN! BECAUSE OF ALL OF THE UNFORGETTABLE SCENERY AND THE IMAGE OF THE FLIGHT OF THE CONDORS IN THEIR NATURAL HABITAT.
You will be picked up from you hotel by your guide, early in the morning in a private vehicle. You will then be transferred to the small village of Mollepata, around 2 and a half hours drive from Cusco, where you will be greeted by my family and will have breakfast (Marino, my husband and /or my children - Flor or Edwin). They will give you all the necessary information about the trek, the map of the route you will take, plus some water and snacks for the day. We also have a store to buy any last minute items that you may need for the trek.
After breakfast, you will be driven, in our private vehicle to Challacancha, which is approximately a 1hour journey. From here, we will start to hike to our first lodge in Soraypampa, which is approximately a 2 hour walk. Here, you will be greeted with a coca tea and you will be shown to your rooms and you will have time to get settled into the first night’s accommodation. Our lodges are fully equipped with private bathrooms, a hot shower, and we have a choice of rooms with double beds, twin rooms or triple rooms with 3 beds for bigger groups. Once you are settled-in, you will be able to try some delicious and nutritious local cuisine. Vegetarians or anyone with food allergies are also welcome, we cater for all dietary needs.
After a hearty lunch, you will have a short acclimatisation trek to the spectacular Tukarhuay Lagoon with a stunning backdrop of the Tukarhuay glacier, or more commonly known as the Humantay glacier. You will also have spectacular views of the Salkantay glacier, one of the most sacred mountains in Inca mythology (Apu Salkantay) at a massive 6,200 metres / 20,341 feet. This excursion will take approximately 3 hours in total and will help you to acclimatise for the rest of the trek. When you get back to the lodge there will be an appetizer waiting for you and then a delicious dinner.Throughout the day, you will have the opportunity to visit the “Flight of the condors”
Total distance: 12km / 7.45 miles. Starting elevation: 3,380 metres /11,089 feet. Highest elevation: 4,300 metres /14,107 feet. Altitude of the lodge: 3,850 metres /12,631 feet. Approximate night-time (outside) temperature at the lodge: 0 – 5°C.
- Accommodation: private rooms at the lodge
- Meals : Lunch, dinner and afternoon tea and snacks)
- Walking time : 4-5 hours
- WIFI signal
- Fresh towels, face towels, shampoo and soap provided.
- 2litres of bottled water
- Transfer of your personal items for the duration of the trek.
- Difficulty level: Moderate
- Adventure level: Satisfactory.
+ DAY 2: TREKKING THROUGH THE SALKANTAY PASS- HUAYRACMACHAY O HUAYRAPAMPA
Walking time: 5 –7 Hours. Distance: 13.5 km / 8.38 miles
Today is the big day!
You will wake up and have a coca tea at 5am. At 5:30am our host Marino, will serve a delicious breakfast. This first part of today’s trek is an ascent of 7km /4.34 miles in approximately 3 hours, between the rocky valley and the magnificent Salkantay Mountain at 4,660 metres /15,288 feet. When we reach the pass, you will be able to appreciate the spectacular view of the mountains and glaciers of Salkantay, Humantay, Tucarhuay y Pumasillo, where we will be greeted with some coca tea. The Salkantay peak is the second highest mountain in the Cusco region (6,200 metres - 20.341 feet) and is revered as an important God of the Inca civilisation. Their Gods were called “Apus” or Sacred mountains. After we arrive at the pass, we will descend for half an hour where our hot lunch will be waiting for us. We will then continue, after lunch, for another hour and a half on a slight descent until we arrive at Huayracmachay or Huayrac pampa.
Distance Walked: 13,5km /8.38miles. Starting elevation: 3,880 metres / 12,729 feet. Maximum altitude: 4,660 metres /15,288 feet. Altitude of Huayracpampa: 3,950 metres /12,959 feet.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Accommodation: “Glamping” tents
- Walking time : 5-7 hours
- Fresh towels
- Hot shower
- Transfer of personal items : all day
- Difficulty level: challenging
+ DAY 3: HUAYRACMACHAY – CHALWAY – PLAYA SAHUAYACO - LUCMABAMBA
The Best day of the trek!
You will have your breakfast at 7am so that you can start hiking at 8am. You will enter the high part of the Amazon jungle, which is also known as a cloud forest. It is approximately a 10 km (6.2 miles) downhill walk, taking approximately 3 hours. The path is a wide track through thick woodland areas. This part of the trek is really beautiful and has stunningly, decorated hillsides, with natural scenic views and a huge variety of wildlife, native plants and flowers. The woodlands throughout most of the year are relatively warm, and temperatures can be quite high at certain times of the year. After finishing this stage of the hike, we will arrive at CHALWAY (2,900 metres - 9,514 feet).
After lunch, we will continue for another 3 or 4 hours descending gradually. If you are a fan of orchids, there is an amazing array of different species as well as a wide variety of species of ferns and begonias. We will also have the opportunity to see a wide variety of Hummingbirds and other bird species as well as beautiful waterfalls, rivers and different flora and fauna, native to the area. On arrival to Loreta, there will be a private transport to take you on the half an hour journey to Lucmabamba which has another different micro -climate called the “tropical jungle”. Once you arrive at Lucmabamba, a local family will be waiting to greet you, show your rooms with private bathroom, and hot or cold shower.
Distance Walked: 18km / 11.2 miles. Starting elevation: 3,950 metres /12,959 feet. Elevation of Llactapata: 2,100 metres /6,889 feet.
- Total walking time : 5-6 hours
- Private transport ( Loreta – Lucmabamba) 1 hour
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Accommodation in the lodge: Private rooms and private bathrooms
- Fresh towels and soap
- Transfer of personal items: all day
- Difficulty level: easy – moderate
- Adventure level: satisfactory
+ DAY 4: LUCMABAMBA- LLACTAPATA INCA TRAIL
The local family will wake you early in the morning with a hot cup of coffee, or coca tea at 7am. You will be able to prepare yourself for the day’s activities and then you will head out. You will pass through the banana, granadilla (passion fruit family), avocado and yucca plantations as well as the coffee plantations where the traditional methods are still used by local farmers to toast and grind the coffee beans. The organic coffee from this region is considered, one of the best in the world. You will be able to prepare yourself for the hike and enjoy a hearty breakfast from all of the products you have collected from the area, an unforgettable experience!
You will start to hike quite early in the day and you will have the opportunity to enjoy hiking on part of an original Inca trail. After a 3 hour ascent with incredible views of the Santa Teresa valley, you will arrive at the Inca site of LLACTAPATA, situated just in front of Machu Picchu. Not only can you catch your first glimpse of the Machu Picchu archaeological site, but also the amazing view of Huayna Picchu and the Machu Picchu Mountain. We will then spend the night at the LLactapata Lodge.
Distance walked: 8.km / 4.97 miles. Starting elevation: 2450 metres / 8038 feet. Altitude at The Llactapata Lodge: 2600 metres /8530 feet
- Walking time: 5-6 hours
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Transfer of your personal items with porters: The entire route
- Accommodation in the Llactapata lodge: Private rooms with private bathroom
- Fresh towels, soap and shampoo provided
- Difficulty level: Easy
- Adventure level: Absolutely!
+ DAY 5: LLACTAPATA LODGE – HYDROELECTRIC – AGUAS CALIENTES
A special day!
You will have the opportunity to see the sunrise over Machu Picchu from your room and you will be able to have breakfast in the panoramic dining room. You will then start hiking for 3 to 4 hours, downhill on an original Inca Trail and away from the “beaten track”, which most trekker’s use, until you arrive at a small family home, where the family will be waiting for you with fresh water (bottled) to rehydrate and show you this impressive site. You will then continue to the hydroelectric train station, which is your lunch spot for the day.
The most impressive view in this area is the 300 metre natural waterfall, which generates electric energy for the region of Cusco. We will then continue to the famous “Intihuatana” (Sundial). This is an ancient rock, which was used by the Incas to estimate the time of day by the angle of the sunlight. According to historical accounts, this ancient Inca Stone would only work in conjunction with the Intihuatana inside the site of Machu Picchu. It was only with these sundials that the Incas could tell when it was the Winter solstice and know that it was the start of a new cultivational cycle. After we have seen this small Inca site, we will continue to the train tracks. Next to the tracks is a pathway, which will take us roughly 3 hours to walk to the town of Aguas Calientes, the town just below the archaeological site of Machu Picchu. This section of the trek is very interesting as it was the same way that the American Professor Hiram Bingham, used to arrive at Machu Picchu when he “re discovered” the citadel, after it had been abandoned for many centuries.
- Total distance walked: 12 km / 7.45 miles
- Walking time: 6 - 7 hours
- Starting Elevation: 2600 metros / 8530 feet
- Elevation in Aguas Calientes: 1900 metros / 6233 feet
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Adventure level: Absolutely!
- 3 star Hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Dificulty Level: Easy
+ DAY 6: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO
Early in the morning, before sunrise, we will catch the shuttle bus to the Archaeological site of Machu Picchu (The bus is included in the price).
This is so you can appreciate the site, before all of the trains start to arrive from Cusco and with the early morning sunlight rising over the site. We will then have a 2 and a half hour guided tour of the site to explain the many constructions inside Machu picchu. After the guided tour, you will have the chance to explore the site or climb the Huayna (Wayna) Picchu mountain, for the classic Machu Picchu photo. (You need to advise us at the time of reserving the trek, if you would like to climb the Huayna Picchu Mountain as we need to secure permits for this climb – the cost is an extra $10). Also try to make time to visit the “Temple of the moon” if you are climbing the Huayna Picchu Mountain.
If you cannot get permits for Huayna Picchu, the alternative options inside the site are:
Inti Punku (The Sun gate). This is where the trekkers from the classic Inca trail arrive at Machu Picchu.
The Inca Bridge.
Machu Picchu Mountain. (Permits also needed in advance at a cost of $10 u.s)
We also recommend the walk down from Machu Picchu so that you can see the vegetation of the area and also, the incredible feat of being able to build a site like this in such a geographically difficult area. It is a 1 hour and half walk back down to Aguas Calientes. We return to Cusco in the afternoon via train (Expedition). There are trains at 2:30 p.m. or at 6:00 p.m.
In Ollantaytambo, our driver will be waiting in a private vehicle, and will take you directly to your hotel in Cusco. You should be arriving in Cusco approximately 4 hours from the time you depart from Aguas Calientes.
INCLUDED & NOT INCLUDED
COST: $ 1200 PER PERSON (MINIMUM 2 PEOPLE).
If you are a lone traveller, please ask to see if we have other passengers departing on the same date.
+ INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE:
- Entrance fee to Salkantay Trail
- Pre- trek briefing: You will meet with the guide for your trek and the rest of the group in our office for an orientation meeting. You will also be given duffle bags, which will be carried by horses on the trek. We will meet at 7:00 pm the night before the trek.
- Transport from your hotel in Cusco to SORAYPAMPA on day 1 and from Ollantaytambo to your hotel in Cusco at the end of the trek on day 6.
- A bi lingual guide (Spanish and English), From day 1 to day 6.
- “Glamping style” and 1 nightin a 3 star hotel in Aguas Calientes).
- Private rooms: We have double rooms, twin rooms, triple rooms and quadruple rooms depending on your group size.
- Return shuttle bus Bus from Aguas calientes - Machupicchu - return
- Fresh towels and soap.
- Transport of your personal items, by pack horse / mules or porters for all of the trek.
- Guided tour of the Machu Picchu Sanctuary including entrance fee.
- 1 Duffle bag: to carry your personal items ( up to 14 kilos / 30 pounds)
- All meals except dinner on day 5.
- Wake up with tea!: Each morning at the lodge we will awake you with a hot cup of coca tea which our staff will bring to your room. .
- Afternoon Tea Happy Hour: Each afternoon, 1 hour before our dinner, your hosts and families will serve popcorn, cookies, coffee, hot chocolate and some different types of tea, hot water etc. This is because after a hard days hiking, you will arrive quite hungry and tired.
- Daily snacks - Days 1, 2 y 3. Our snacks consist of local fruits, cookies, chocolate, sweets, etc. We will provide them in a fabric bag (more environmentally friendly) We will give you these snacks in the at the start of each trekking day and should last most of the day.
- A fabric, re-usable bag for your snacks (environmentally friendly).
- Hygenic Products: All of our lodges have fresh towels for hands and face and body.
- Hot water in all of our lodges
- First Aid kit: Our crew always carry an extensive first Aid kit including an oxygen tank in case of any emergencies.
- Train tickets : From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (Vistadome service)
- Rain ponchos
- We will create an unforgettable experience
- Alcoholic drinks and energy drinks are NOT included. Clothing or personal items or travel insurance is Not included.
- We provide an emergency mule for any situation that should arise.
+ Not Included:
- Extra expenses or delays caused by circumstances outside of our control - (weather conditions, landslides etc.).Any changes to the itinerary due to security problems, illness, political climate, strikes,
- Sleeping bags are not necessary for this trek
+ What to bring:
- set of clean clothes for each day. Please bring clothes for ALL types of weather conditions …..cold and hot, wet and dry.
- Rain gear (Jacket and trousers) or a rain poncho. You can buy rain ponchos in Cusco for around $1 dollar.
- Good comfortable, waterproofed, walking boots, Extra socks are a requirement!
- Sandals /flipflops to allow your feet to breath in the evenings.
- Warm clothes, including down jacket or warm fleece, gloves, scarf, thermal under clothes are recommended.
- Torch /flashlight.
- Camera, film, batteries, chargers, etc. (be aware that in cold conditions batteries go flat very rapidly).
- HATS for sun, cold, and rain.
- Sun block.
- After-sun and hydration creams.
- Insect repellent - 20% DEET minimum – (there has never been a reported case of malaria but the insects do bit and can be itchy.
- Snacks: Cookies, chocolate bars, energy bars, dried fruits, trail mix etc.
- We advise you to bring water sterilisation tablets in case you want to collect stream water en route.
- Your own first aid kit with prescription medication, paracetamol, band aids / blister protection etc.
- Bathing suit: If you are planning a visit to the thermal springs.
- CASH! For snacks, souvenirs, tips etc. Please bring small denominations- no large notes! There are ATM’s in Aguas Calientes.
+ Available Discounts: (These are not accumulative) **
Students: $ 30.00 (Students need to bring a valid ISIC student card. (Please take into account that Youth student travel cards are not valid!)
Adolescents: $ 20.00 (up to 15years old, a Passport copy is required).
Children: $ 45.00 (up to 10 years old, Passport copy is required for all stages of the reservation).
YOU ARE BOOKING NOW SALKANTAY ALL INCLUDED
Trekkers $ 1300