COMPLETE SERVICES 5 DAYS
Refugios Salkantay is a team of families living along the Salkantay route. There is no travel agency or middleman operating the company. We are people from the area who will interact with you directly in order to bring you the highest quality service. We will show you how our culture, traditions, and ancestral history work in harmony with the flora and fauna of the area. Salkantay trek.
+ Day 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA
Your guide will pick you up from your hotel at 6am in a private vehicle, which will take you to the community of Mollepata, this is a journey of approximately 2 and a half hours. In Mollepata, you have an optional breakfast at our home, and pick up some water and snacks for the day. We also have a store to buy any last minute items that you may need for the trek.
After breakfast, we go in our private vehicle to Challacancha, which is approximately a 1 hour journey. From here, we will start to hike to our first lodge in Soraypampa, which is approximately a 2 hour walk. Here, you will be greeted with a coca tea and you will be shown to your rooms, when you will have time to get settled into the first night’s accommodation. Our lodges are fully equipped with private bathrooms, a hot shower, and we have a choice of rooms with double beds, twin rooms or rooms with 3 beds for bigger groups.
Once you are settled-in, you will be able to try some delicious and nutritious local cuisine. Vegetarians or anyone with food allergies are also welcome, we cater for all dietary needs. After a hearty lunch, you will have a short, acclimatisation trek to the spectacular Tukarhuay Lagoon with a stunning backdrop of the Tukarhuay glacier, or more commonly known as the Humantay glacier. You will also have spectacular views of the Salkantay glacier, one of the most sacred mountains in Inca mythology (Apu Salkantay) at a massive (6,200 metres / 20.341 feet). This excursion will take approximately 3 hours in total and will help you to acclimatise for the rest of the trek. When you get back to the lodge there will be an appetizer waiting for you and then a delicious dinner.
Total walking distance: 12km / 7.45 miles. Starting elevation: 3,380 metres / 12,729 feet. Highest elevation: 4,300 metres /14,107 feet. Altitude of the lodge: 3,850 metres /12,477 feet. Approximate night-time (outside) temperature at the lodge: 0 - 5°C.
+ Day 2: SORAYPAMPA - SALKANTAY PASS - HUAYRACMACHAY – CHALWAY
Today is the big day! We will wake up and have a coca tea at 5am. At 5:30am our host Marino, will serve a delicious breakfast. The ascent to the Salkantay pass at (4,660 metres - 1,5288,71 feet), is 7km (4.34 miles) in approximately 3 hours. When we reach the pass we will have a coca tea and take some time to appreciate the spectacular views of the mountains and glaciers of Salkantay, Humantay, Tucarhuay and Pumasillo. The Salkantay peak is the second highest mountain in the Cusco region and revered as an important God of the Incas, these are called “Apus” or Sacred mountains. After you arrive at the highest pass, you will then descend for approximately 2 hours until you arrive at Huayracmachay, where we will have lunch.
In the afternoon, you will enter the high part of the Amazon jungle, which is also known as a cloud forest. It is approximately a 10 km (6.2 miles) downhill walk, taking approximately 3 hours. The path is a wide track through thick woodland areas. This part of the trek is really beautiful and has stunningly decorated hillsides, with natural scenic views and a great amount of wildlife, native plants and flowers. The woodlands throughout most of the year are relatively warm, sometimes with quite hot temperatures. After finishing this stage of the hike, we will arrive at our lodge in CHALWAY (2,900 metres - 9,514 feet).
On arrival, you will be greeted with a snack and refreshments. The local family who you will be staying with, are aware that the hike has been a long one today and that you will be arriving with a healthy appetite. They will provide you with a delicious dinner, fresh towels and a hot shower.
Total walking distance: 22km / 13.67 miles. Starting elevation: 3,850 metres / 11,089 feet Highest point: 4,660 metres /15,288 feet. Altitude at the lodge: (Refugio Chalway) 2,870 metres / 9,416 feet.
+ Day 3: CHALWAY – PLAYA SAHUAYACO – LUCMABAMBA
The local family will awaken you with a hot beverage early in the morning, which will be served in your room, to help start the day. We will also get a healthy breakfast to prepare you for the days hike. You will leave your personal belongings in the lodge and we will transfer them to the next lodge for you. At around 7am you will start to hike and will walk for around 4 to 5 hours along a gradual descent. If you are a fan of orchids and flowers, there are many different species along the route, including different species of begonias and a surprising array of ferns. There are also some amazing hummingbird species native to the area and other different bird species. During this part of the hike, we can appreciate beautiful waterfalls, rivers and a highly impressive flora y fauna.
You will then arrive at the small community of “La Playa”, where a local family will be waiting for you with a delicious lunch. After your lunch, you will walk approximately 1 hour through tropical jungle. In the afternoon, you will arrive at the Lucmabamba lodge where the local family will welcome you and allow you to settle in to your rooms for the night. They have private bathrooms and hot or cold showers. Afterwards you will enjoy a delicious, hearty lunch.
After lunch, you have the option to participate in a cultural experience with people who are native to the area including farmers who organically cultivate their coffee plantations. Thiers is considered one of the best organic coffees in the world. The people here still use artsesanal, small-batch traditional methods to toast and grind the coffee beans. We will then continue through banana plantations where they also cultivate “granadilla” a member of the passion fruit family, yucca and avocados. We will finish the day with a delicious dinner after the day’s activities.
Distance walked: 16km /9.94 miles. Starting elevation: 2,870 metres / 9,416.01 feet. Altitude of the Lucmabamba lodge: 2,100 metres /6,889 feet
+ Day 4: LUCMABAMBA – LLACTAPATA – HYDROELECTRIC PLANT – AGUAS CALIENTES
We will wake you early in the morning with a hot cup of coffee, served in bed. You will have time to prepare yourself for the day’s activities and enjoy a hearty breakfast. You will start today’s hike quite early in the day and have the opportunity to enjoy hiking on part of an original Inca trail. After a 3 hour ascent with incredible views of the Santa Teresa valley, you will arrive at the Inca site of LLACTAPATA, situated just in front of Machu Picchu. This will be the first archaeological site that you will see on the trek, and from here you catch your first glimpse of the Machu Picchu archaeological site, but also the amazing view of Huayna Picchu and the Machu Picchu Mountain. You will explore this amazing site and a local family will bring you a refreshing drink of bottled water, before you continue on the hike.
After the ruins of Llactapata, you will continue to descend for 2 hours, all the time appreciating the stunning views of Machu Picchu. You will then arrive at a small family home, where the family will be waiting with fresh water (bottled) to rehydrate and show you this impressive place. You will then continue to the hydroelectric train station which is your lunch spot for the day and where your personal items will be waiting for you from the Lucmabamba lodge.
The final stretch of trekking is an enjoyable walk under the canopy of trees, along railroad tracks for 2 and a half hours until you reach the town of Aguas Calientes. Here we will check in to our hostal and you have the evening relax a bit and go to a restaurant.
Distance Walked: 18 km / 11.2 miles. Starting elevation: 2,450 metres / 8,038 feet
Elevation in Aguas Calientes: 2,000 metres.
+ Day 5: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO
The day we have all been waiting for! The entrance to Machu Picchu is open from 6am until 5pm. Visiting for Machu Picchu is split into 2 groups, you have to choose either the morning group or the afternoon group. The first shuttle busses go to the ruins at 5:20am. We include the bus ticket going up, but if you want a bus back down to Aguas calientes, you have to buy it yourself. You may also walk up to the archaeological site of Machu Picchu in about 1.5 hours. The guided tour usually lasts 2 hours for this mystical site. There is also the option to climb the Huayna Picchu mountain or the Machu Picchu mountain (be aware that you need to reserve permits with anticipation to climb these mountains, and it costs $10usd more). Both mountains take around 3 hours to climb up and down. You can also hike to the “Inti Punco” or Sungate which is where the Inca trail trekkers see their first view of Machu Picchu.
After visiting Machu Picchu we go down to Aguas Calientes and catch our train to Ollantaytambo. From there a shuttle will take us to Cusco, the entire trip is about 4 hours.
INCLUDED & NOT INCLUDED
+ Included in the package:
- Entrance fee to Salkantay Trail
- Pre- trek briefing: You will meet with the guide for your trek and the rest of the group in our office for an orientation meeting. You will also be given duffle bags, which will be carried by horses on the trek. We will meet at 7:00 pm the night before the tre.
- Transport from your hotel in Cusco to challacancha on day 1 and from Ollantaytambo to your hotel in Cusco at the end of the trek on day 5.
- A bi lingual guide (Spanish and English), From day 1 to day 5.
- Private rooms: We have double rooms, twin rooms, triple rooms and quadruple rooms depending on your group size.
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes: The last night of this trek is spent in a hotel in Aguas Calientes with a double or triple room, private bathroom, hot shower, wifi, breakfast, and luggage storage while you visit Machu Picchu.
- Fresh towels and soap.
- Transport of your personal items, by pack horse / mules or porters for all of the trek.
- Guided tour of the Machu Picchu Sanctuary including entrance fee.
- All meals except breakfast on day 1 and dinner on day 5
- Wake up with tea!: Each morning at the lodge we will awake you with a hot cup of coca tea which our staff will bring to your room. .
- Afternoon Tea Happy Hour: Each afternoon, 1 hour before our dinner, your hosts and families will serve popcorn, cookies, coffee, hot chocolate and some different types of tea, hot water etc. This is because after a hard days hiking, you will arrive quite hungry and tired.
- Daily snacks - Days 1, 2 y 3. Our snacks consist of local fruits, cookies, chocolate, sweets, etc. We will provide them in a fabric bag (more environmentally friendly) We will give you these snacks in the at the start of each trekking day and should last most of the day (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost)
- A fabric, re-usable bag for your snacks (environmentally friendly).
- Hygenic Products: All of our lodges have fresh towels for hands and face and body.
- Hot water in all of our lodges
- First Aid kit: Our crew always carry an extensive first Aid kit including an oxygen tank in case of any emergencies.
- Train tickets : From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (tren expeditions)
- Rain ponchos
- We will create an unforgettable experience
- Alcoholic drinks and energy drinks are NOT included. Clothing or personal items or travel insurance is Not included.
+ NOT INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE:
- Day 1: Breakfast
- Last Day: Dinner in Aguas Calientes.
- Personal clothing and gear
+ Travel Insurance
Tips for our staff: Please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish.
Option: If you feel tired after the trek to and from Llactapata, you have the option to take a train from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes. (Cost: USD $26.00)
Additional costs or delays out of control of the management (landscape, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, illness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.)
YOU ARE BOOKING NOW Salkantay Trek 5D/4N, Waking up With Machu Picchu
$575 per person
* A group tour means that it is open for other trekkers to join you. This means that your group will have varying hiking and fitness abilities. All our guides are experts on how to keep the trek moving and happy no matter how fast you hike.
Private tours are available and priced by party size.
2 Trekkers $ 770 per person
3 Trekkers $ 740 per person
4 Trekkers $ 700 per person
5 Trekkers $ 670 per person
6 Trekkers $ 650 per person
7 Trekkers $ 610 per person
8 Trekkers $ 575 per person
* All our tours are priced in US Dollar.